Friday, March 20, 2015

Two days for the price of one

Wow, on Monday I was worried about all of the small details of the trip, screening, folders, organizing, now as I type this the trip is formally over......I can not tell you how overjoyed I am.

5 years ago, Dr Steve Miller emailed me and asked if I wanted to go to Nepal on a mission trip, we had just met 2 weeks before and had chatted about podopediatrics and mission work. I said yes. I said yes and the world opened up for me. If you had told me then just 5 years later I would be helping to lead teams of wonderfully amazing people from all walks of life and locations, i might have believed you. Dr Miller inviting me on that trip was the best thing in my career.

Yesterday was Thursday, the most amazing day. A patient that touched all our hearts 5 years ago came back to discuss her case and upbring. I was able to go to the orphanage where she was raised. DHC-New Life Center, the kids there were very happy.  It was amazing and such a happy happy day. We did great cases and then made it to Fire and Ice Pizzaria.

Pizza in Kathmandu????? Some may think were crazy but the place is great. Pizza is wonderful and the servers are awesome. Its nice to enjoy a bit of hone when you're far away.

Friday 20 March

Breakfast at the Norling is always nice, sitting at the table enjoying food with a table of people many of whom were strangers on Monday is a great way to reflect on the human spirit. Our team had 4 return members and 5 new ones.

As a co team leader, you hope that the team you build likes eachother, works well together and the host institutions like working with them.

We were blessed on all three. Not only was this a great group, we were able to run a pretty tight ship and yesterday Dr Saju told myself and Carl that NOH enjoyed working with us very much! It made me so joyful. We did some fun cases yesterday, Dr Carl worked to correct 2 different toe deformities, Dr. Ali and myself treated equinus as well as pediatric hammering of the toes.

In total we screened over 70 patients, operated on 23 11 of which were children and performed over 50 procedure which includes external fixation, clubfoot release, cavus foot reconstruction, post polio surgery. In addition to the surgery, we were able to utilize the stash of Cascade AFOs Dr Steve had brought in 2013 as well as purchase custom made braces and inserts for 10 patients.

The trip closed today with an amazing team dinner filled with laughter, photographs, whiskey and wine. Who could ask for a better trip.

We are planning next years trip already....stay tunned!!!!!

Namaste, Dr Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment